2018-19 Wood Workshops
The BC Building Code Changes are Coming – And we’ve got you covered!
Fire Performance Demonstration Workshop 2.0 – understanding fire design: applications
Date: Tuesday, October 16, 2018
Time: 8:00am – 5:00pm
Location: Surrey Fire Department Training Facility, 14923 64 Avenue, Surrey, BC, V3S 1X8
Registration: $149. Including continental breakfast and hot lunch
*Discounts for Fire Officials and BOABC members. CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
Don’t miss this brand new Fire Performance Demonstration Workshop. This workshop is a MUST for Architectural, Structural and Fire Engineering professionals, building and planning officials and regulators, Fire Services, Insurance brokers and underwriters, Developers, BC Housing Licensed Builders, and Installers (Insulation/Drywall/Fire Stopping).
- Workshop Format: classroom lectures with ten featured speakers and three“roll up your sleeves” interactive sessions
- Live burn comparing several large (8’ x 8’) demonstration boxes, each built to code
What’s New? — The new 2018 BCBC (effective Dec 10th, 2018) and the 2020 NBC will allow BC design teams to build with wood, in larger and taller mixed-use structures. Elements of these structures will require a 2-hour combustible construction fire rating.
Taller and bigger wood buildings require diligence, knowledge and skill in addressing concerns about fire. Attending this workshop will be invaluable to designs using wood.
We can help — In response to this requirement, the Canadian Wood Council/Wood WORKS! BC, the timber industry supply chain and other supporting industries now have new floor assemblies and new listed floor penetration assemblies to meet the new building code.
Wood WORKS! BC invites you to an innovative, entertaining, interactive – but mostly educational — single day event that includes classroom lectures with ten featured speakers and five “roll up your sleeves” interactive sessions.
The day will conclude with a live burn comparing several very large (8’ x 8’) demonstration boxes, each built to code. Included is a “course of construction” mass timber box, a Mass Timber Combustible box and Steel Stud non-combustible box.
- Context of the Fire Demonstration – Marc Alam- Canadian Wood Council
- Fire-resistance Rating Tools Mass Timber Design- March Alam- Canadian Wood Council
- Site Specific Regulations foster wood innovation- Don Pedde- Building Standards Branch & Sean deWinter-GHL
- Tall wood in the City of Vancouver- Patrick Enright- City of Vancouver
- QAI: Fire Testing, From Fire Stops to General- Matt Lansdowne- Quality Auditing Institute
- Fact or Fiction: Thermoplastics Edition- Cory Norman IPEX
- Fire Protection and Sound Control Solutions for the new BCBC – Robert Marshall, -CertainTeed
- Dowel Laminated Timber and how it performs- Brian Woudstra- Structure Craft Builders
- Mass Timber in Today’s contemporary world- Colin Chornohus- Structurlam Mass Timber Corporation
- Firestop in Wood Building Construction– Stuart Moore & Courtney Skene-Hamilton- Hilti Canada