2020 Wood Workshops
Our workshops have gone virtual during COVID 19! Check our event calendar for upcoming workshops as they are posted. Future in-person events will be considered once it is deemed safe to do so.
PAST WORKSHOPSPhoto Courtesy: naturally:wood | photographer Paul Alberts (Arbor Media)
FOR PROJECT TEAMS: Wood construction costing beyond 2020 – drilling down through details CLICK HERE FOR THE SPEAKER PRESENTATIONS
Wednesday, March 4, 2020: 7:30 AM – 4:00 PM
Fairmont Waterfront Hotel – Waterfront Ballroom – 900 Canada Pl, Vancouver, BC V6C 3L5
Registration and light breakfast: 7:30 AM
Workshop starts: 8:30 AM
Lunch: 12 noon
Afternoon presentations: 1:00 – 4:00 PM
Early bird $249 | Regular $299
With BC’s recent early adoption of the 2020 national building code, there will soon be a surge of taller mass timber buildings in planning and construction. As the new code, objectives, innovative systems and construction capabilities advance wood construction, it’s become increasingly important to understand how wood building projects differ in planning, timing and costing. Developers, designers, specifiers, and quantity surveyors recognize that expanding their knowledge about costing has become imperative in order to properly quantify project cost projections to make informed project decisions.
This workshop is tailored to help these sectors understand the differences in pricing wood projects relative to other materials. Experienced professionals will share their knowledge and experience – both successes and challenges which will inform designers, estimators, contractors and developers attending this workshop. This is the first workshop offered by Wood WORKS! BC featuring presenters with extensive experience in wood projects, from concept through detailed estimating and to final assembly.
Photo Courtesy: Seagate Structures
FOR CONTRACTORS, ESTIMATORS AND TRADES ONLY: An evening of costing details for wood construction CLICK HERE FOR THE SPEAKER PRESENTATIONS
Wednesday March 4, 2020: 4 PM – 8:30 PM
Fairmont Waterfront Hotel – Waterfront Ballroom Foyer – 900 Canada Pl, Vancouver, BC V6C 3L5
Registration: 4:00 PM
Workshop starts: 4:30 PM (includes light refreshments)
Dinner: 6:00 PM for 45 minutes, stand up cocktail reception, cash bar
Event: 6:45 – 8:30 PM
Early bird $89 | Regular $99 – VRCA and ICBA Members save 10%
This evening session provides a learning opportunity specific to contractors, estimators and trades. Presentations by experts will give a concise and intense examination on the differences in pricing wood projects relative to other materials. This is a condensed version of the broader session from earlier in the day, featuring the same presenters and content, and designed for this specific group of building professionals.
SPEAKERS AT BOTH COSTING SESSIONS:
- Ken King, Director, Hanscomb Quantity Surveyors — Estimating wood structures
- Emily Dawson, Architect, Path Architecture / Kaiser Group — Examining optional systems for a project, including time, labour and material impacts
- Craig Mitchell, Director, Innovative Solutions, Metric Modular — Costing modular construction
- Nick Bevilacqua, P. Eng, Fast + Epp and Ray Wolfe, Architect, thinkspace architecture planning interior design – Mass timber school costing study
- Erica Spiritos, Manager, Swinerton Mass Timber — Preconstruction estimating and critical factors
- John Paone, President, Alfred Horie Construction Co. Ltd. — A contractor’s perspective on mass timber project costing
- Drew Willms, Engineer, StructureCraft — Estimating large heavy and mass timber projects, including use in international markets
Tall Wood Design: Getting into the details – VICTORIA or VANCOUVER
2 Dates | 2 Locations:
Dates: February 10, 2020 – VICTORIA | February 11, 2020 – VANCOUVER
Time: 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
Location 1: VICTORIA – Victoria Conference Centre, 720 Douglas Street
Location 2: VANCOUVER – Radisson Hotel Vancouver Airport, 8181 Cambie Rd., Richmond
Registration: $199 Regular | $149 Early Bird till January 25th! Includes continental breakfast & hot lunch. BOTH LOCATIONS ARE SOLD OUT! CLICK HERE FOR THE SPEAKER PRESENTATIONS
Photo: Tallwood 1 – Langford, BC – Courtesy: DESIGN BUILD SERVICES
This workshop provides participants with innovative ideas and solutions for tall wood design under the 2020 National Building Code recently adopted by BC.
The workshop brings experts from Europe and across Canada to share insights, innovative approaches and ideas to solve problems – often thought difficult for tall wood and mass timber structures. These experts will present on the latest innovations in acoustics, curtain and building envelope wall designs, and fire considerations for these new building types to achieve high levels of comfort, performance and safety for occupants all in a cost-effective manner.
This is a new learning event that will provide practical ideas and knowledge for your design and building practice.
Presentations included are:
- Practical considerations for tall wood and mass timber: today and into the future
- Ilana Danzig, P.Eng, M.Eng, PE, SE, Aspect Structural Engineers, Vancouver
- Building enclosures for mass timber buildings
- Lorne Ricketts, Principal, Building Science Specialist, RDH Building Science Inc., Vancouver
- Acoustics in wooden structures
- Paola Brugnara, Technical Consultant, Rothoblass, Cortaccia, Italy
- Encapsulated mass timber: a new construction type for the 2020 NBC
- Marc Alam, Manager, Codes & Standards – Fire, Canadian Wood Council, Ottawa
- Acoustic solutions for tall, mass and heavy timber structures
- Tim Praeger, B.A.Sc., P.Eng., Principal at Aercoustics Engineering, Toronto
- Practice guidelines: encapsulated mass timber construction up to 12-storeys
- Allison DenToom, P.Eng., P.E. | Practice Advisor, Professional Practice, Standards & Development, Engineers and Geoscientists British Columbia, Burnaby
Proud Partners: Boise Cascade, Western Archrib Structural Wood Systems, Structurlam Mass Timber Products, Rothoblaas