This year’s Industry leader started off his career in 1966 with MacMillan Bloedel. From 1966-1979 he worked in a variety of marketing sales positions, including five years with MacMillan Jardine in Singapore and Kuala Lumpur.
He joined Weyerhaeuser Canada in 1979, and was appointed Vice President of Sales and Distribution in 1984. He was named Vice President Marketing and Corporate Planning in 1988. In 1999 he was appointed Vice President, Forestlands and Strategic Planning. In January, 2003 he assumed the role of Vice President, Policy and Planning for Weyerhaeuser Canadian operations.
Over the course of his career he has worked tirelessly on behalf of the industry and has served on many committees, including:
- Chair of Wood WORKS! BC
- Co-Chair of the Lumber Properties Steering Committee
- Past Chair of Canadian Wood Council
- Forest Innovation Investment Advisory Committee
- Canadian Forest and Wood Product’s Coalition on the 2010 Olympics
- Past chair of the N.F.P.A. Market Expansion Committee
- Past chairman of the Sustainable Forestry Certification Working Committee
- Past Director of Forest Engineering Research Institute of Canada FERIC
- Advisory committee for Forestry Innovation Investment
- Canadian Forest and Wood Products Coalition on the 2010 Olympics
He has been closely involved in the Canadian softwood lumber issue for almost 20 years, and was recently been appointed to the Canadian side of the 12-person North American Lumber Industry Council.
He received the Hart Award for recognition of his contribution towards the 1996 completion of the national Standards of Sustainable Management (SFM) approved by the independent Canadian Standards Association (CSA).
In 1997 he was also the recipient of the Canadian Pulp and Paper Association’s Hart Award for Excellence and in 2007 he received the Canadian Wood Council’s Paul Bunyan Award.